Saturday 19 November 2011

Course Reflection and Feedback

Yeah!!!! Funny - I have tried for several years to push myself to use technology - data projectors, then PowerPoints, eventually into Movie maker, wikis, delicious, etc... but as a non-digital native, it really is a push for me. The first review I ever had on "Rate My Teacher" was from someone in my religion class where the kids just knew technology was rarely my friend - I rated three out of a possible 5 stars and the comment read "thinks she's up with the technology" - well, I am not really and don't pretend to be, but if I can keep pushing myself, and if I can walk others through trying, taking risks, having a go - if i can ask a student for help when I don;t get something technical - then I am at least being human and accessible - and I am modelling myself as a lifelong learner for students and staff. I will never proclaim to be technically proficient, but I am keenly interested in and passionate about exploring ways to use technology in the classroom, particularly as it aids the top end of the Bloom's spectrum - creating, collaborating, engaging, critical reflection.

I have certainly learned new and valuable skills that I can use personally - ie the iGoogle homepage, or the interlinking of other tools - bookmarks loaded onto delicious., Google reader with links to great blogs to stimulate my thinking. I have a Twitter account now, and a blog - but most importantly have not only a few more tools, but some great links to useful sites, and to other passionate connected educators.

As Michael Fullan says, the learning is the work - it is not just the tool, or the fun, or the colour, or the play - but the learning connected to technology. As long as we ask ourselves WHY we are using these tools, as long as we plan for their use and integrate the tecnology and tools in order to enhance the learning, we are on our way.

Thanks for the opportunity!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment